Friday, May 11, 2012

Friday’s Film Bride & Prejudice

 

movie review

imagesCA5D6Y5S

A clash of cultures in the spirit of MY BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING, this modern musical retelling of Jane Austen's classic PRIDE AND PREJUDICE is a hilariously entertaining tale of one girl's unlikely search for love! Sparks immediately fly as a love/hate relationship ignites between a small-town beauty (international star Aishwarya Rai) and a wealthy American (Martin Henderson -- THE RING, TORQUE) who's visiting her modest Indian village. In a swirl of music, dance, and comic misunderstandings, these opposites continue to attract and repel each other in a riotous romance that spans three continents! Featuring Naveen Andrews (TV's LOST, THE ENGLISH PATIENT) and a memorable performance from top recording artist Ashanti -- love will eventually conquer all in this acclaimed treat from the director of BEND IT LIKE BECKHAM!

My Thoughts:

In this adaptation, Pride & Prejudice goes Bollywood. I liked the way that they kept the characters and the plot similar to the original version of P&P while infusing them with their own flavor. I also enjoyed the cinematography. However, I found the musical aspect of the movie highly annoying; I guess I just prefer my P&P adaptations with no random singsongs.

I did finish the movie, although it almost drove me mad. I was surprised that I did not like this move as I had seen Bend It Like Beckham, also directed by Gurinder Chadha, and loved it. Although I just could not get past the musical numbers in Bride & Prejudice.

Normally, I love musicals, I have watched My Fair Lady so many times I know the songs by heart, but for some reason I did not think the songs worked in this movie. It could have been because it made the movie feel like it was more for teens. This movie was not my cuppa tea.

Until We Meet Again,

Angela 5

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry that this one didn't grab you. I loved it and I didn't think I would.

    Thanks for sharing your review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this, esp. the opening dance number. I really loved Mary and Mrs. Bennet. But differing opinions is what makes the world go round. :)

    ReplyDelete